How to MIG Weld, without argon?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:05 pm
Okay here is the problem, I've never welded before, but I like to learn - so I went out and bought a Lincon Handy MIG 101, the problem is that it is used and has instructions.

How do I start welding? I purchased flux core wire and installed it on the weld and got two peices of aluminium and tired but the whole piece of aluminium becomes white and does stick together. I have take the correct safety precautions. Is there only specific things I can weld with this flux wire or can I weld differnet metals with it?? Any help with the basics is appreciated. I've already read the outline in the e-book, but I still do not understand.

What I want to accomplish is to weld back a gate that broke off from my fence and hopefully car body panels.

Thanks,
omar

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:25 pm
You can only weld steel with that wire. Other wire types are available for other metals, aluminum wire is available but you need sheilding gas and possibly a more powerful welder.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:23 pm
Can an 80Amp MIG work for car body welding?

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:40 pm
When I try to weld two pieces of steel together (scrap from a bed frame), I just get little bits of the weld where I put wire, it seem to burn the metal and if I take something I can scrape the pieces off of the metal (it doesn't stick) - what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks
Omar

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:04 pm
u might have the heat range too low, wire speed to fast or u might be moving to fast. Try and hold the gun at the spot a little longer til u see a puddle of metal form then move on from there. It seems u are not getting any penetration where u are trying to weld.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:55 am
make sure the metal is clean where you are welding too.
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:04 pm
it all in the machine set up. using a sheilding gas co/argon you can get pretty clean steel welds. Flux core is very dirty and tons of splatter. If you are welding aluminum you would use 100 argon or helium and argon mixture. MIG on aluminum is really only good on a higher end MIG welder of at least 200 amp.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:08 pm
I have never used the type of mig you are refering to but a mig I used in the past was capable of welding both methods ( gas and gasless ). The model I used you had to reverse the polarity if you wanted to switch methods. If your polarity was set up for welding with gas and you used a fluxcore wire, it would just sputter and gob the wire on the metal. You could hit the parts with a hammer and the whole thing would fall apart. Consult a lincon dealer and ask them where the positive and negative wire should go. Even if your unit is strictly "no gass", you said you bought it used ......... someone may of played around in it.

VERY IMPORTANT !!!!
Please be sure to talk to a lincon dealer first and don't just start grabbing in there. What I am refering to applied to the model I used and may not even relate to yours at all.
Never scrap a clasic ........... especially if it's a mustang !!!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:36 pm
I know Lincoln has a pretty interactive website for all sorts of things. See if there is a factory manual online for yours.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab