Special planishing hammer

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm
Hi all, I'm a new member here. I used to work on cars in a previous life and was pretty decent with a hammer and dolly, but I have a new challenge ahead of me. I bought a DeLorean that has some dents and in my search found the pros that work on these cars use this funny looking planishing hammer. I have no idea what it is called or where to get one, so I'm hoping someone here knows. I have attached two pictures that I took from a video of a DMC technician using the hammer. The video itself is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8idrfo_RtpU&t=97s

Thanks!

Dirk
Attachments
DMC dent repair (2).png
DMC dent repair (1).png

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:33 am
Not really a planishing hammer. A planisher usually has an air cylinder to lightly, but continuously, hammer the metal smooth. What he is using here is just a version of the "pick and file" type of finishing metal. Usually caller a 'bulls eye' pick. It just lets you see exactly where the pick end is going to end up, by having a "U" shaped target on the opposite side of the pick. You squeeze the pick and the pick comes up and hits into the target area.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:17 pm
Thank you very much! I googled bulls eye pic and there they are! Much appreciated!

Return to Welding & Metal Fab