Advice needed - fitting a rocker panel

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 pm
I need to move the rocker over in the direction of the yellow arrow so the rocker will sit flush against the inner kicker panel. I don't know if I should cut along the red line or yellow line. There is a slight ridge along the yellow line. Thoughts?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:59 am
Looks like the rocker is overlapping the outer panel. If it's cut flush to it (butt weld), the rocker will move inward a bit over the thickness of the sheet metal. That will bring you closer. At that point I would hammer and dolly the edge to meet the other. Most aftermarket panels aren't made precisely, so you have to do what you can to make them fit. Metal moves pretty easily.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am
Also I can clamp it over to the flange with alot of force but the panel becomes spring loaded. I assume the panels should fit without alot of clamping force.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:34 am
I had to put a couple of slots in mine to get them to expand far enough to make a proper fit in that same area. I used a rotary metal cutting disc about 1/16" wide and spaced the slots so that it wasn't difficult to weld them shut once the rocker panel was in place.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Welding & Metal Fab