Welding and skin exposure

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:06 pm
Newbie welder here. I've been trying to pay attention about you guys and your welding situations but I never hear of anyone discuss the skin exposure to the welding arc. Is it a big deal? I'm a shorts kinda guy and usually wear a shop coat. It's a very geeky sight but nevertheless it works for me! Anyways, I've always wondered about the exposure to my legs when welding. I've seen some guys spot welding (now I talking mig here if it makes a difference) with no gloves on so it got me thinking about whether it's a big deal or not. Thanks for listening. I look forward to all your advice.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:21 am
Some guys are fools, so be careful who you follow. I have seen them spraying urethane paint with no mask on and that is crazy.

It will only take one small drop of molten metal to hit your skin and you will understand why welding gloves are so thick and long.

I had forgotten to adjust my settings once and a drop of hot metal hit my sneaker and went right through to the top of my foot. Painful is an understatement.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:06 pm
Agree.

Even in summer I wear proper welding gloves, long pants (heavy cotton drill) and a jacket with leather sleeves and suede body. Hot, but not as hot as a white hot piece of metal.

And proper leather boots. Shoes don't cut it. I've had splatter go right through my socks when wearing shoes. Not fun.

Also remember that a welding arc can cause sunburn on exposed skin. Stay covered.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 pm
I do wear gloves lol. I have had molten metal hit my skin before. I can't print those words here so I hear you guys! I was more interested in the arc exposure to uncovered skin. Is it serious enough that you should always cover all your exposed skin? If you spot weld here and there, will it over the years cause irreversible skin issues...cancer? I'm not a fraidy cat, just want to understand all my options. If I'm not sure, I figure to ask you guys as seasoned welders. You guys are very helpful here.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:20 am
https://www.google.com/search?q=welding ... e&ie=UTF-8

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:55 pm
Yes I get it now. Thanks for all your feedback!

Return to Welding & Metal Fab