Help with brazing

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:14 am
I have a tip for my torches for brazing and rod with flux on it any advice help me out guys thanks

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:27 am
I would get a brush on flux and some anti heat compound #31042

http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/default3.asp?skw=CLEARANCET&SRCCODE=1EM703EQ
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:21 am
Many moons ago when I worked as a helper in an auto body shop one summer, I used to see the boss brazing. He used it to put together panels and for patching certain spots. Then he'd grind it and go to the bondo etc.

I guess there is not much of that anymore as it seems all the pros are using MIG nowadays.

I was thinking of getting a brazing torch for my oxy-acetylene set-up (I only have a cutting torch now.) if my idea to try some welding with 1/16" rod doesn't work out.

I stopped by my local combination welding shop/supplier and the owner told me it would be preferable to go with torch welding rather than brazing. I'm not sure what that's about and he was busy so I couldn't get to discuss it further with him.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

TomBk

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:58 pm
Brazing is a fairly heat intensive process. Brazing is a red heat operation and the entire joint has to be at red heat for the brass to flow properly. That means you would be heating a larger area. MIG welding uses higher temperture but it is very localized and moves quickly. Brazing also produced hard, brittle joints. The brass can crack when a weld would bend. Brazing does have auto applications, castings and oil pan repair come to mind, but it isn't the best choice for panel repair. One other thing is that brazing is not suitable for butt joints. It works as a filler in lap joints, much like a high strength solder job.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab