Removing a bed side panel spot-welded every 2-3 inches

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:45 pm
Hello fellas,

I have a rather dinged up bed on my 01 fleetside & have been dilly-dallying the last year on when/how to fix it. I have a bad boo-boo mark on the drivers side whole end. I dont drive the truck daily so I havent had a major desire to fix until now that I can get into my garage with this warm spring weather. I originally had a junk yard cut out the rear quater of a junked bed to weld in on mine, needless to say it came out with undesirable results. Last month I was browsing ebay & happen to see a ZR2 bed panel already cut off & ready to ship...I freaked, jumping for joy, I had no idea that there was a panel available to just weld in. I talked with the dealership & they said it could be purchased for $1100.00.....OUCH!!!! After that, I started calling the junk yards & nobody wanted to give me just the panel, only complete beds (that also needed body work) for $600-$1000......Again OUCH!!!! After all this, I was at a Easter Sunday BarB-Q & happen to start talking with this guy who's uncle owns a yard here in town...........He gave me his number & told me to reference him................BAM..........$250.00 & I got a drivers side bed panel cut in the bed itself all the way through. What a deal!!!

Long story short, Im going to start the procedure this week & start posting pics of the work. Along the way Im going to need some of ya'lls support on some of the welding we will do with a mig welder. I also will be sanding down the whole truck after the panel is welded in, so this will no-doubt be a big thread.

1st question so far.........

1). What would be the best way to remove the spot welds every 2-3 inches on the bed. (hammer & chisel???)

2). drill out the spot welds?
Minitruckin member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:28 pm
Stop into your local body shop supplier and pick up a spot weld cutter for about 10 to 15 bucks and get cutting. Works nice!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:50 pm
Anonymous wrote:Stop into your local body shop supplier and pick up a spot weld cutter for about 10 to 15 bucks and get cutting. Works nice!

Thanks man, I really appreciate the help. These forums are really a beautiful thing!!!!!!! :D
Minitruckin member

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:54 pm
I purchased a set of spot weld removal bits at the Northern Hardware store (if you have one near) for 12 bucks. Be careful and not drill too deep. It doesnt hurt the skin but the teeth break off easily. I have gone through 4 bits so far on my 67 camaro. 8)
D Moody

Return to Welding & Metal Fab