Removing old crash tape resedue

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:42 pm
All, I bought a car that was sitting for some time with some crash tape covering the front and rear glass to prevent water from getting in. The crash tape sat too long and the residue is now covering much of the paint on the roof. Any idea on how to get this stuff off? I tried rubbing alcohol but it looks like it will take a very long time to remove it this way.

Many thanks
Attachments
crashtape.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:27 am
3M makes an adhesive Remover
Goo-Gone is another.
There is a citrus product that gets good reviews but I do not remember the name.
I have used WD-40 on adhesive before.

Whatever you try, test in a small area first. You do NOT want to try and scrape it off with a razor blade or anything metal that will scratch the paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:50 am
Thanks, I tried bug and tar remover which I assume is like goo-gone and it did not make an impact. I'll swing by my paint jobber and see if he has anything.
WD-40 would be nice if it worked

Best wishes

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:52 am
If nothing else works try a stripe remover eraser.
They make bigger ones for decals like this.
It'll be slow but should work without marring the paint.
I find a cordless drill is just the right speed

https://www.amazon.com/Decal-Removal-Er ... 2692&psc=1
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:27 pm
I know this thread has some age on it, but posting here incase someone else comes looking.

I removed all the decals on our fleet (govt vehicles with MANY large / small decals) which were pretty old (4 years+). The product below was awesome compared to goo-gone and others I tried...

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-529-Sticker-Remover/dp/B004M3F5CO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=turtle+wax+adhesive+remover&qid=1579379072&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:22 pm
I recently used the Turtle wax Sticker remover as listed above by crjackson because it does get rave reviews and rightfully so in comparison to similar products. It did a fair job but I have found nothing that beats automotive paint thinner or gasoline. People may balk at that but neither will cause harm. How often does gas run down the side of a vehicle after filling up and automotive paint thinner is not going to remove cured automotive paint or clear. Care should be taken around plastic parts though.

If that doesn't work then you can try the Turtle wax sticker remover or a similar product. Spray it on the glue residue and let it set for a few moments, otherwise as directed. You can then use a plastic razor blade to remove the goo. A plastic razor will cause no gauging or harm as long as some care is taken.

I managed a detail business for 14 yrs. and waxed/buffed well of 10k vehicles during that period. Removing stickers and other contaminants was a daily routine for us.

God Bless,
Ralph

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail