Is this oxidization

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:07 pm
Bought used car a few years back, just now this started showing on rear panel. Tried to buff out with turtlewax ceramic polish and wax... it came back a few month later. What is it, and how do I fix?
Attachments
MuranoOxidization.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am
It appears to be just the one panel.
My guess is that it was repaired or replaced at some point and they didn't use a quality clear coat or enough of it.

At this point, you may need to have a shop look at it. If the base coat isn't compromised they may be able to just shoot more clear coat on it.

Hopefully, some others here will comment as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:16 am
As said I bought car used. This issue didnt show up for about 3yrs after buying it... could that be the nature of a poor or inadequate clear coat?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:27 am
Absolutely.... cheaper lower solids production and spot panel clears can have very low levels of UV protection. What usually happens is the minimal UV filter wears out and allows damage to happen to the base coat. Once the bond between the base coat and the clear is broken there is no coming back from that, you must refinish.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:31 am
Thanks guys, sounds like a consensus. It's just a small area, can you give me a step by step on how to fix myself. Also what product(s) might you recommend to protect the whole car after for proper maintenance, and to help blend in.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:02 am
Well, to tell you how to fix it..... what's your paint/bodywork background? If this isn't already your hobby it will end up costing more to DIY this (especially silvers) than to just have it done....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:45 am
DarrelK wrote:Well, to tell you how to fix it..... what's your paint/bodywork background? If this isn't already your hobby it will end up costing more to DIY this (especially silvers) than to just have it done....

:goodpost:

Yes, if you do not already have the equipment and skills necessary, it will cost you a lot more than having a shop do it. Plus, they will warranty their work.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:04 am
Enough said gentlemen, you've convinced me!
Any ballpark fig as to what body shop would charge?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:52 pm
dougdotbee wrote:Enough said gentlemen, you've convinced me!
Any ballpark fig as to what body shop would charge?

:happy: :happy: :happy:
Attachments
one-million-dollars.jpg
one-million-dollars.jpg (84.49 KiB) Viewed 6807 times

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail