buffing ?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:11 pm
how do you use the buffer is there some thing you need to use such at a wax or polish i can always get a great pait job but after the clear coat it all goes down hill

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:17 pm
hey,
yeah if your getting a basic more "amiture" buffer, you get the buffer buy some tarry cloth pads, a bottle of liquid polish a bottle of liquid wax, and a couple tarry cloth rags. ok the way i do it is first take the bottle of polish and squirt it in back and forth lines all over a single pannal, then put the polisher on the pannal and turn it on. move the buffer back and forth over the pannal untill it is spreed evenly (you dont need to use that much, use the smallest you can usaly because if you use tomuch you can clog the tarry pad). then after spreed evenly over pannel wait alitle then go over it again swiftly to get off most of the polish then buff to shine with tarry cloth. same for wax (wax comes after); now thats just weekend enthusiast detailing if your talking about referbishing the paint or anything your talking high speed rotisory buffing which is waaaaaaaay out of my leage. so any way if you are talking about more advansted buffing then tell me when you know.
Garrett

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:14 pm
If you are going to use a buffer on a new top coat such as clear, it is advisable to color sand with 1000-to1500 grit beforehand.
Then get a buffer with at least 2000-2600 rpms and buff with 3-m compound and finish up with 3-m glazeing compond to remove swirrls.
Do not apply any wax to new clearcoat for at least 30-60 days to allow chemical evaporation of solvents.
Hope this helps

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail