sanding out runs in clear coat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:36 pm
i put on two coats of clear and i didnt wait long enough between coats and i have runs all over the car,what grit paper should i use to sand out these runs? also i plan on shooting two or three more coats of clear on the car. im useing omni b/c black on a corvette. any help will be nice thanks :(

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:46 am
think about shaving the drip off with a razor?

if its real thick Id try that, then block wet sand it flat with 800/1000.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:39 pm
I'd redo it all over,if you have that many sags,,it will take,way longer to wetsand them out than dry sanding the whole car back to base,re touch the base and go to clear,with your newly acquired experience :lol: of letting the clear tack up longer between coats,,

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:51 am
I know exactly how you feel, the suggestion of sanding the whole Vette is probably the best idea. I just finished painting base/clear on my 1985 Vette and had runs in the hood, must have sanded and repainted four times before getting the job right, even had to go out and buy another quart of red base color $90.00. My experience is the following, have good equipment, clean area to paint, remove all debrie with tack cloth, etc, etc.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:52 am
I know exactly how you feel, the suggestion of sanding the whole Vette is probably the best idea. I just finished painting base/clear on my 1985 Vette and had runs in the hood, must have sanded and repainted four times before getting the job right, even had to go out and buy another quart of red base color $90.00. My experience is the following, have good equipment, clean area to paint, remove all debrie with tack cloth, etc, etc.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail