How to Post Pic's?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:40 pm
I'm finally coming near the end of my Superstepside pick-up project. I 've taken pictures through the whole process of hacking the base car in half, installing the new nose, and complete rear bed/body clip (over 300 hours of body work alone). I've noticed that some guys use "free web hosting" sites but I know nothing about how that works. Any suggestions??? Trust me it will be worth a look. I end up doing a real candy apple paint job using the waterbased Auto Air colors with the Omni 161 clear. When I'm done cutting and buffing the clear coat it's going to look awesome. Hey, Abberant, did I read you are 6foot 6??? Man, I sure could have used your arms today on spraying this trucks one piece tilt nose! I thought my right arm was going to pull out of it's socket.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:48 pm
6'6 AND A HALF, I'm a total freak.

I use auto air almost every day, great stuff isn't it? I love the fact I can use a half mask and Tshirt and not worry about my health, and they have some really great paint, it looks absolutely stunning with a good urethane clear. More of the amateurs on this board should be using this stuff.

If you want your pictures online you can email them to [email protected] and I'll keep them up for a few weeks at least, but I can't offer permenant web space.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:50 am
Yeah, thanks for the offer for the post. I hope to have the truck reassembled by next wednesday so I'll send pics next week. You are right about the Auto Air. I wasn't a big believer in the stuff initially but I did a whole series of test panels and also did destructive testing the same way furniture finishes are tested for hardness, abrasion, and chemical penetration and was shocked by their toughness when combined with a good fully cured urethane topcoat. More of the newbies should be doing their custom paint effects with this stuff. With no time windows it gives you more time to work out your detailing and air brush work and to not worry about killing yourself with chemistry along the way. Whoops, I think I just made a commercial! Oh, well, people should be aware of stuff that really works.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:07 am
I can't wait to see the pics. :)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:39 am
Who cares if you're a commercial, bring the truth, theres nothing else on the market even close to auto air.

It's well known that HoK is the standard by which other custom paints are judged, and auto air isn't THAT good. The reason I don't use HoK (yet) is because I don't feel safe using it as often as I need to with the equipment I have, and it's expensive.

But yeah, auto air + good clear coat is just as durable as any other paint, I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a bumper. Because of the way it's applied the clear soaks into it, I don't think it's even physically possible to get delams between auto air and clear coat if you apply it right. And if you use a good sealer the adhesion to the undercoat isn't much worse.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:20 am
Well, Aberrant, I guess I'd actually have to look up at you (a little). I'm only 6' 5" and need a dress shirt with a 37" sleeve. I guess that's why my favorite ride is the Caddy Deville. :D

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:46 am
Ha HA! Big jim ain't so big now is he? Hehe. I actually have a long upper body compared to my legs, all my shirts are super baggy, short sleeves down to my elbows, and they barely cover my belt.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:39 pm
Hey, its Big Jim, not Tall Jim. I tip the scales at about 265 so I don't have any trouble in strong winds. My upper body is pretty long, too. If I don't buy tall sized shirts, I look like a Teeny Bopper with my belly hanging out.
Finding clothes that fit decently - one of the joys of not being average.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail