Factory clearcoat thickness

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:42 am
Hiya, just curious to know....how thick are factory clear coats (particularly Hondas)? I'm not much for factory orange peel, so would it be okay to run over the paint with 1200, 1500, fine cut, a swirl remover (a worker at wesco auto body supply suggested it, and it turned out well =D), and a glaze? Last year, when i just purchased the car, i used a random-orbit polisher with meguiars deep crystal polish (nothing too spectacular....no extremely abrasive compounds). With that being said, am i safe to go through with the sanding and buffing? Preemptive hank you, and have a great day =^_^=

-John

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:57 pm
Just some input. I toured the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky about 5 years ago. We were allowed to talk to any of the tech. departments at the end of the tour. I talked to a finishing engineer in the paint and finish department. That was my exact question to him. Just how thick is your entire paint coating package??? He said that they did not exceed 6 mils of total coating over the fiberglass. Now you might want to go look at a heavy duty trash bag which is 3 mils thick and just imagine that the whole paint job is twice that thickness. The only thing that I wasn't absolutely sure of (and he really didn't address it with me when asked) was if that also included any primer/surfacer films. As for your Honda I think dropping all the way down to 1200 grit seems a little radical. I'd say stay 1500 going up to 2000 would be a better idea combined with compounding and polishing. Have you tried contacting the Honda Plant in Marysville, Ohio? See if their on the web and drop them an e-mail.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail