Questions about paint job...please help!

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:30 pm
I was hoping I could find some answers about a recent paint job on my car.

I needed a new hood on my car and it had to be painted. The shop I took it to installed the hood & repaired some scratches on the front fenders. Well, it turns out that they had to paint the hood, repaint the fenders and halfway into the doors in order to blend the paint. Unfortunately at that point, I had to go on a last minute business trip and needed my car. So the shop quickly re-pin stripped it and told me to take the car back to have it buffed after I returned.

My questions are about the buffing and pin stripes.

First, I noticed and they pointed out the many dust particles and minor defects. They said that all of it, including a section of pretty bad bubbling, should come off with the buff. Should I expect those results?

Also, the car had painted on pin stripes from the factory. I was told that getting them re-painted would not be an option. Is that really true? All they did was apply some stick on stripes over the old painted ones, except for the front fenders where the old stripes were painted over with the new paint. Unfortunately, they chose the wrong colors for the stripes as they did not match the old ones. But I was told that they would fix it when I returned also.

And last, if stick on stripes are my only option...is there a way to seal them so that they don't feel raised?

Please keep in mind that I have never had to get a car painted so any help would be much appreciated!!! I'd like to know if I'm getting my moneys worth. Thanks!!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:57 pm
"Bubbling" is the paint lifting from it's undercoat or substrate, you can't buff that out. Anything in the surface of the clear can be taken out though.

I think what they meant was that getting the stripes re-painted isn't an option "for us", but someone with more skill could do it.

I don't know what they used for the stripes, but you can generally clear coat over top them and bury the edges.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:34 am
Why don't you give the shop a chance to finish the job and then see what it looks like. I'd expect a half-done job to be kinda rough.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail