clear coat paint flaw question

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:34 am
Painted a hood this weekend (my secondattempt at painting with auto paint, my first I was afraid of running the clear, and shot it too thin, BAD orange peel, sanded, resprayed.) there are spots on the hood where the clearcoat looks sparkley, almost like there are little speckles of silver in it. I dont even know what to call it so I tried to search, but was unsuccessful finding anything that described it. It doesnt seem to be sanding out. Any ideas anyone? is it air bubbles in the clear somehow?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Love the forum guys, a wealth of knowledge, and the incentive I had to try my own paint job. I paint military gear for the USMC (civilian contractor), so I have SOME paint knowledge, but.. shiney + tactical vehicle = bad things man, so as you might know, we dont use clearcoat.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:54 pm
Maybe something fell in your clearcoat from the air? What environment did you paint in? I'm not sure that solvent pop could be mistaken for sparkles. Is it evenly distributed and how many are there?

Don't you feel guilty supporting the american murder machine?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:35 pm
sad.. but very possible that something did fall in the CC. Enviroment wasnt the best thats for **** sure.

Thanks for the response, I sanded it and am gonna try again, gonna spend more time making sure the area is as clean and ready as the surface I painted this time.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail