Buffing ?'s

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:03 am
This is how I buff. Is this the best way. I use a variable speed buffer and I start with medium grit, then to fine and then to glaze. Is there any step I should do in between. I use 3M products. I use a Nikota buffer with an egg crate type round pad. Any tips or tricks I should try?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:54 am
Sounds like your right on track. The only thing I do differently is I use different foam pads for the different steps. You supply store can tell you the difference in them. I have one for rubbing compound, 1 for microfinishing compound, 1 for polishing. The different compounds are the same as different grits of sand paper, as far as the pads go its the same thing, different grit pads as well. I also use all 3M products. I hope this is helpful.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:49 pm
Yeah it helps. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:07 pm
EVERCOAT makes all the same rubbing and polishing compounds as 3m, and they cost about 2 thirds less (3m fine cut=$32.50@qt / Evercoat fine cut=$12.75@qt) They even color, scent, and package the products similarly to 3m, so it's easy to find your personal favorites equivelent.
I will probably never use the 3m compounds again, (unless they drop thier RIDICULOUS pricing on finishing products)

I have personally used Evercoats fine cut, and medium cut compounds, the light and dark polishing compounds, and the hand glaze, the only difference I can see in the 2 products, is my wallet is heavier, the finished product is the same.
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:38 pm
Here is something that I believe will help.
it works with one product and is selling all over the world its new and called System One.
This product really does work from show car finish to production work
look it up at www.systemoneproducts.com.
The same product for wool pads cutting out the deepest scratch and the same product for foam pad leaving a perfect finish.
One product does it all.
Look it up in books like Pro body and paint by HP books
and Jon Kosmoski's (House of Color inventor) new book Advanced Custom Painting Techniques
Good luck and happy polishing
Tom Horvath owner System one
[email protected]

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:13 pm
Not that I am pushing the product from the previous reply but does anyone have experience using this and a review would be appreciated. As someone just getting into painting, I think that if system one works as advertised, it would be a great product for someone like myself.

Thanks,

Bluz2001

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:55 pm
Evercoat online vendors anyone?
Id be game to try that System One ProKit package but the **** site doesnt sell outright.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:56 pm
I have not used the product and do agree they are not seemingly easy to locate and are quite regional. I did find their product is sold online at eastwood... http://www.eastwoodco.com/ I am not to keen on ordering from the web due to the shipping fees, many times are far too high to realize any price benefit if product can be found locally. But in this case one has to consider shipping in any case. I have seen them recommended in several Autobody handbooks i.e. Paint & Body by Don Taylor & Larry Hofer. Hope this is helpful info for you and others :D
It's not what you don't know that hurts you the most but what you know that ain't so.......dvd

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail