How much material do I need?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:43 pm
I am getting ready to paint my factory five 33 project here soon and I am looking ahead about to buy materials for cutting and buffing. I am looking at using the trizact setup with 1500,3000,5000 grit..then the Finishing material and finally the ultra finishing material. They sell kits that have everything up to the finishing material but I want to make sure I will have enough.

How much material do you think I would need to polish this 1 car. A pint each? Quart?

Thanks in advance

Oh..and here is the project to give you an idea on how much square footage I am talking about.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:32 pm
A pint should do it but it'll probably be more cost effective to buy that by the quart.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:43 pm
Nice looking ride. What color are you going with?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:13 am
lol...I don't know at this point. I change my mind daily. What do you guys think about this???

The problem is I will probably have to paint it in parts so that makes what I want to do more difficult. I was thinking black on top to the body line then this metallic blue on the bottom....or maybe a thin 2" band of blue/black marble effect between the 2.......OR do the whole thing in blue...OR just say screw it ad do the whole thing in black. Black would be easiest with the body apart and doing pieces individually.

Here is my test panel colors sprayed (first time spraying so be gentle)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:06 am
Pints will do it as Chris says, but quarts are more common and cheaper in the long run. If you haven't done much cut and buff you'll probably tend to use a little too much and I personally hate just running close or worse, out of stuff. And then there is that addiction factor.... I said about 10 kit cars ago, no, I'm done..... he, he.... :lol:
Love that blue and can see the car done in my head. Sure would look good with some "barely visible" white pearl ghost flames. Your test parts look pretty good to me..... keep going.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:19 am
Yeah..I will probably just get quarts. I was mainly asking because 3m has a kit that comes with 4- 1500, 2- 3000, and 2- 5000 discs..plus buff pad and finishing material for $78..I know I will need more stuff but I guess if I get more I can always use it on my other money pit (boat) :)

I can see the finish line now. If the weather cooperated I could really have it painted within a week or 2. I just can't make up my mind on the color.

Here was the original concept

But some of these blues also look sweet. I am also already looking at my next project so trying to keep in mind resale value.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:18 pm
Nice project; we are going to need pictures of the engine you know :-)

This is totally personal preference but I like the overall blue much better than the black over blue on the model.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:24 pm
Couple videos from a while back..in the earlier stages. I have switched from a demon carb..to a holley..now to a QFI EFI system that I will be installing when I take the body off for paint.

I do really like the blue but I just worry that the color will be too far off doing it in pieces. I guess for now I will just keep pushing to get the body as perfect as I can

And a few more pix

With the roadster top

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:52 pm
I in-lined those youtube videos for you, very nice thank you for posting those.

Love this project, can't wait to see the final result!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:01 pm
Another vote for the blue. Maybe some black highlights like airbrushing the body lines?
Painting in pieces is not that difficult as long as you remember to paint each panel exactly the same as the others. Gun settings, undercoat, paint mix, coats, overlap etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail