Swirls over Black

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:45 pm
Hi everyone and thank you for giving me this place to ask a few questions. I had my 1995 Harley Wide Glide painted by a fine painter.
He used, as he always does Sikken's paints. It is black with several coats of clear with blue pearl, followed by several coats of the same clear with no pearl.. to bury my tank decals. I have 2 things to ask you all.

First .. I have a swirling problem, it's been there from day one.. I have hand rubbed with Meguiers #9 until I am blue in the face.. and they are still there. I am wondering.. could it be that these swirls are not in the surface coat? My painter says no way.

Second.. as I said my painter says they are surface swirls and that he can get them out with his foam pad and polish, but no matter how careful I am in the future, they will just return. He says that clear is just not that hard anymore.
Gone are the days of the rock hard clear formulas.

Is that correct??

I am very careful .. I never dry dust anything.. I am thinking if it's true that todays clears are "soft" then I will try to find some clear of old.. and add a couple top coats to my bike.

I am sorry that I don't know much about painting .. and thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards
Russ

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:41 pm
I'm not sure if your painter is mixing his clear right. I use mostly PPG paints and clear that is properly mixed, sprayed in ideal conditions, and properly color sanded will be and should be rock hard. If his clear is never like that he should change brands.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail