Cutting new paint

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Hi I am new to painting cars and before I actually try and spray my car I have bought some sheet steel and fairly cheap primer, 2k paint and 2k lacquer.

The main thing I need to know right now is what is the need to cut the paint after spraying?
When should I cut it?
Is there any different methods that I can experiment with?
And will i always need to cut it?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:35 pm
The clear you choose, the activator, solvent speed and quantity, and number of coats applied will affect cure times. Generally letting it cure overnight is acceptable before cutting.

What grit you start with is based on the application of the clear. Lots of orange peel may require 1000 or even 800 to start but clear that lays down nice can look great right out of the gun with no cut and buff.

I would stress that proper preparation prior to paint and clear makes a huge difference in the end results.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:18 pm
To be honest I'm not in a huge rush so cure times are not such a huge concern to me I'm mainly bothered about the quality of the finish.

So the cut and buff is done after the clearcoat is done? and I'm guessing the more severe orange peel the more coarse grit should be used?
Just had a quick google search if I have to use very coarse grit do I then work it up in stages, e.g. 800 grit then buff with the right compound then, 1000 then compound, then 1200 then compound etc??
I've read on a few articles that you should cut and buff anyway to give a better finish with a very high grit, is this true?

What preparation exactly, like the smoothness of the surface?

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 pm
At the beginning of each section are "stickies" that have all your answers. Color usually doesn't get cut unless there is an issue in which case most call for about 600 grit and recoat. Check with your supplier to make sure.
viewforum.php?f=16 <<<<read.
1969 CAMARO SS X66 work in progress

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail