Cut and polish how far to go

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:40 am
i guess my main concern with myself and what i try to tell others is, why work for nothing?? you can stay home and earn no money, why bust your **** for the same outcome??
thats just my opinion, there are many others that will disagree, but each to their own.
yeah feel free to ask, i dont mind helping, as others will do the same im sure,
im only self taught, i do heaps of reading, watching clips and dvd's, and just getting in and having a go, using a bit of common sense goes along way too, lol, also having the proper gear makes life heaps easier, when i get paid for a paint job or flip a car for a profit, i use some of that money for a new tool or something that will make the job quicker and easier, but i do painting for a hobby and dont need to rely on it for a actual income, my plastering does that, but i also do the same with that too, i like to try to put some money away from each job for some tools that will save me time andmoney on my labour costs, my back too!!!
krem

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:44 am
I agree with that too. Even making some money on some Jobs is not even worth it. Just the other day a potential customer wanted a paint job for his suv for the cost of a car paint job. I would have made some money from it but felt it was not worth doing extra work and buying extra supplies for the same profit gain as a car much smaller.
Same here! All self thought painting wise. I did go to auto mechanics school but am thinking I should not have gone now as I do not enjoy working on cars mechanical wise now :flatten:
Ended up working at a small used dealer painting panels.
I also do invest profit from jobs to tools. Seeing it as this job will pay for this and I'll use some of that job for this tool/supplies etc.
next tool on the list is a better da sander that isn't so loud as this electric one.
Maybe build up a detailing kit to offer that on the side or days I have no work.
Quite boring sitting around on a great day doing nothing when I'm not at the dealer.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:15 am
As I professional in this business I could say that if yare gonna make income doing this you have to invest in decent tools. Also learn how to become more efficient at what you do. You wont always make a killing or become a millionaire but you can make a decent income. Practice is what will make you faster and better. You will also learn what you could get away with and what you cant. Just my 2 cents.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:03 pm
Agreed Mike. Since I started I have been practicing and learning from what I see online. Probably best thing I have improved on so far is masking!
I used to lay sheets of paper and it took a couple hours to mask everything up.
Now I just lay a plastic sheet over the entire car and cut around things that need to be masked and just tape over it. Cuts it down to about an hour!
Spraying techniques have also improved.
Thanks for the input!
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:45 am
here is my orbie, its great, it has a fine orbit and a coarse orbit, ive given mine an absolute flogging, still goes great after 2 yrs now!!
i use it for everything, paint removal, feathering, taking the top off filler, final sanding before paint, final color sanding before buffing (this is wet sanding with them foam pads) and applying polish and wax!!
the next best thing would be a festool sander at 3 times the price, i hook it upto a elcheapo karcher vac, that was around $80 on special, it removes around 80% of the dust, a better vac would be nice but cant afford 1 just yet, i need 1 for when i get a plaster sander so will kill 2 birds wit 1 stone!!
https://www.cltoolcentre.com.au/categor ... vQodLhYIug

i also have a small air operated d/a sander, it came in a paint revival kit with some pads and polish, had it for around 6yrs and only used it a few times as the compressor gets annoying, once i have the compressor out of the shed and in a sound proof box than i mught start using it more, its very handy for final color sanding but finding the 50 and 75mm sand discs gets hard!!
http://www.vektools.com.au/air-tools/wo ... orbit.html
keep asking questions on here, pics of your work and reading / watching clips and youll be fine
krem
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail