Easier to cut and buff right after paint or way after?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
How soon do you cut and buff?

The very next day.
40%
1 week after.
53%
2 weeks after.
7%
2-3 months after.
No votes

Total votes : 15

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 pm
The question is basically in the title.
Is it better to cut and polish a day after the paint, a week after or months after?
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 pm
I have done it both ways and have had people come back a few months later stating that the clear turned white. Spoke to my rep and he says sometimes if you don't allow the clear to breath you can trap it with the compound and polish. If you bake dry the car then you can do it the next day but air drying takes much longer for it to cure.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:56 pm
Thanks mike!

Wasn't sure if to release this truck that is being painting now and have the person come back in a few weeks to cut and buff it.

I have read its better to let the paint dry in a course of weeks or cutting and buffing is easier after paint because its easier to sand.

Wasn't sure what to follow.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:52 am
Mike95Dodge wrote:I have done it both ways and have had people come back a few months later stating that the clear turned white. Spoke to my rep and he says sometimes if you don't allow the clear to breath you can trap it with the compound and polish. If you bake dry the car then you can do it the next day but air drying takes much longer for it to cure.

This is very true, what kind of compounds and glazes do you use Mike? If the system that is used is silicone and wax free like 3M's line of pro compounds. There should be virtually no residue left on the surface. I always follow up with 3M's compund remover after I'm done buffing prior to customer delivery to remove any compound splatter and dust left on the surface and have never had a single issue with cut and buffing the next day.
"My vehicles are always dressed in formal attire, wearing a Black Bowtie"

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:42 am
I have used all types from 3m and McGuires to Ardex. I donut know what brand I used when this happened. But it has happened to me twice and just decided to wait about a week or so for the customer to bring me back the car for sand and buff. To me it insures no headaches and also always for any flaws in bodywork and paint to show. Then the customer also has a week to really inspect the car and tell me if there's any concerns they may have. Kind of a win win for all parties.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 pm
I was wondering this today, what if instead of waiting a full week why not wait 2-3 days, do you think that would be sufficient time before sand and buff?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 am
I have been waiting 2-3 days to begin color sanding especially in the cold weather now, just giving the clear enough time to harden although my clear provider says i can do it next day. Only times i have cut and buff the following day is when that day was the deadline.

Anyone know if sanding a run the next day will create a run halo? A while ago i cut and buff a panel and sanded runs flat but was left with the halo of a run, or what i think was a run halo, for runs is it better to wait a few days to prevent the haloing?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:34 pm
The danger with sanding a run that is not fully cured is it could pull away as a glob and you will end up respraying.
If you have a steady hand you can shave the run with a razor blade. You don't want to go flush but remove the majority so it can cure out quicker.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:03 pm
Thanks for the info 68. That happens to me once in a huge thick run but I stopped sanding when I was clear coming off the way you mentioned. I let it cute and was able to sand it with no re-do.

I do not have pictures of the clear run halo I got, but it was basically an outline on the panel of the run. The panel was flat but left me with the halo. Any idea why I was left with the outline?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm
Serf27 wrote:Thanks for the info 68. That happens to me once in a huge thick run but I stopped sanding when I was clear coming off the way you mentioned. I let it cute and was able to sand it with no re-do.

I do not have pictures of the clear run halo I got, but it was basically an outline on the panel of the run. The panel was flat but left me with the halo. Any idea why I was left with the outline?

When did the run happen? 1st or 2nd Coat or final coat? The halo was likely from the surrounding area being sanded smoother then the area of the run. In other words, there was likely more sand scratches around the run the on the surrounding panel.
"My vehicles are always dressed in formal attire, wearing a Black Bowtie"
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail