What is a High Gloss Polish Job comparable to?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 am
What is a typical High Gloss perfect polished job compared to? Besides getting any visible scratches out.
Can it be compared to a perfect sharp reflective glossy LCD screen or CD surface? These surfaces have such mirror sharp reflections, is this typical of a high quality polished paint?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 am
mirror image
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 am
Yeah, Dave is right -- a perfect mirror is the definition of "polish". If you've ever opened up a broken hard drive and took a look at the internal drive disk, that's about as close you'll get to seeing a perfectly planar and consistent mirror surface.

"Gloss" is a different thing and has more to do with the perceived depth of the finish and spherical highlights (i.e. on curved surfaces), than pure reflection -- in my opinion.

Personally, when I get a result where you can clearly see the engraving lines in US currency being reflected in the finish...I'm good ;-)

viewtopic.php?p=185127#p185127

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 am
a note on polishing... if your body work is not just as good as the polish job it will look wavy and lumpy do to the flat clear. i recommend for DIY and new guys leave some peel in there to help it look good. takes more than a polish job to make a car look good.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:00 am
chris wrote:Yeah, Dave is right -- a perfect mirror is the definition of "polish". If you've ever opened up a broken hard drive and took a look at the internal drive disk, that's about as close you'll get to seeing a perfectly planar and consistent mirror surface.

"Gloss" is a different thing and has more to do with the perceived depth of the finish and spherical highlights (i.e. on curved surfaces), than pure reflection -- in my opinion.

Personally, when I get a result where you can clearly see the engraving lines in US currency being reflected in the finish...I'm good ;-)

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewt ... 27#p185127

I have seen many discs in internal drives, they are crazy mirror like. nice photos too. Thanks

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:56 am
PainterDave wrote:a note on polishing... if your body work is not just as good as the polish job it will look wavy and lumpy do to the flat clear. i recommend for DIY and new guys leave some peel in there to help it look good. takes more than a polish job to make a car look good.

What about wet sanding by hand vs machine? I would image machine would give a significantly better flat mirror result. As up close some spray looks grainy & almost furry & by hand won't cut it at all. I see some just sand the whole car first by hand with 1500-2000grit, then sand out small bits of dust etc, then 2000 the car again by hand & move on to the rotary wool buff stage.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail