Cut and Buff Not Going So Well

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm
It sounds interesting, but the flex website says the RPM for the 3401 is 3500-9600, what speed are you using for the different steps? The roof looks great!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:16 am
chevman wrote:It sounds interesting, but the flex website says the RPM for the 3401 is 3500-9600, what speed are you using for the different steps? The roof looks great!

Thanks for your kind words.
Remember, the flex is a forced rotation buffer, very different than a rotary buffer, so the rpm's don't really translate between the two.
The Flex has 6 levels that run from (1) 160 1/min up to (6) at 480 1/min. It doesn't sling compound around like the rotary can do.
On the roof I wound up using the menzerna 300 with a hybrid wool pad for the first cut (after color sanding of course) using the #4 setting then went to foam pads the rest of the way. I used the method prescribed by Mike Phillips over at AutoGeek and also got his "how to manual" with the Flex 3401. Always new stuff to learn, never know it all!!
I started with foam pads on the green section and that went fine. For some reason the red was just a lot harder and it was the same 2021 clear.
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail