Can this water stain be removed with a buffer wheel?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:05 am
A sunshield was left on the hood of my truck overnight well it rained, and was allowed to bake in the sun with water trapped underneath. It left this large rectangle that I have had no luck removing with any wax or spray. I don't think it needs a wet sand, this could be a good excuse to finally get myself a variable speed polisher. Does this look like an easy fix?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 am
What's your paint system? How old is the paint? Need some more
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:01 pm
The paint is original on there, so 31 years old. As for my system I have none, assuming system is implying equipment. Now could be a good time to invest in some decent tools, I wasn't really looking for a new paint job on the hood. Would need to do the entire truck as it's all faded from the sun giving it a matte finish.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm
In this context a paint system is the combination of materials that go into the paint job. A basic system would be primer and/or sealer, basecoat and clearcoat. Another would be a single stage system where the basecoat has a hardener and does not require a separate clearcoat. The methods used to fix your project will depend on the paint system initially used.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 pm
This is single stage straight from the factory, good to know.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 pm
I thought someone would stop by and give some tips by now. Head over to AutoGeek.com. They sell things but they have good info and a forum. The detailers are able to buff out a lot of things. I'm looking at buffers now and the Porter Cable seems like a good starting point at just over $100.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail