Leopard like appearance in paint after being polished

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 pm
I had my truck painted at Maaco because they were the only shop around willing to do a full repaint (prepped and primed myself). I paid for their most expensive paint job with double clear, and when I got it back there was a bunch of big pieces of dust in the paint. I took it back and they wet sanded those spots and polished the entire truck. Now there's a leopard like appearance in the entire finish, not just spots where they wet sanded. It's hard to take pictures of, but you can kind of see it in the pictures in this post. It won't come off with soap and water. I'm unsure whether they incorrectly polished or messed up the clear.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:52 pm
Well, at least its' such a blatantly bad job it's easy to tell what is wrong with it. First, massive orange peel in clear. Next, person attempting to pull buggers out of your coating figures, what the hell, lets sand and polish this clear.....horrible idea. The leopard thing your are seeing is the peaks of the clear being knocked off by sanding the clear and leaving the craters down in the center untouched. So they tried to buff/polish the tops of those peaks obviously not having a clue how to do that....so bottom line what you get is leveled unpolished peaks which dull the color and you still got your unsanded craters which appear shiny making that color brighter....and poof! instant leopard spots. Guys doing this for you don't have an inkling of a clue as to how to spray a level coating or obviously how to cut and buff the crap they did spray......
And for you this was...... :flatten: :flatten: :flatten:
If you put it on a credit card I'd challenge it.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:29 am
So is it fixable without repainting it? If I keep bringing it back to Maaco they're just going to insist it's normal, and if they do fix it they will do another crappy job. I'm thinking of trying to get a real body shop to detail it, if it is indeed fixable

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 am
That's the right question to ask right there....Is it fixable???? It looks like there is a great deal of clear on there but with so much orange peel it is hard to know how shallow the clear is at the bottom of the craters. Finding a paint detailer was going to be my next suggestion.... If you can't find a detailer, yes, find a regular shop that has a cut and buff guy. Big question too....who's going to pay for it? I'm sure that Macco is not going too, unless you've got some type of leverage on them.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 am
That's the problem, Maacos warranty states that they only offer in house credit, so my only option with them is to take it back again to someone that doesn't know what they're doing. I should watch what I say though, because it seems to be more an issue with the management then the workers. I talked to the painter and he said they were having issues with the equipment and he had to paint it anyway. He knew he messed up a bit and still remembered a month later some of the areas with imperfections. He was actually pissed about it. But they still tried to give me the truck back anyways, and I'm sure they rushed the buff job.

I'll try finding a paint detailer and I'll just pay for it. I didn't take it to Maaco because I'm short on cash, it was because no other shop would do it with me doing the bodywork.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 am
The danger is whether Maaco put enough clear on the car to allow a full cut and buff. Two coats of watered down production clear will not give you much build at all.
The detail guy may get it to look nice but be advised the clear left on the car might be very thin.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:41 am
It's supposed to be a 5 year warrenty. As long as they don't know someone else buffed it they would be liable for clear coat failure. I'm sure they'll probably come up with some reason how it's not their fault, it actually just happened to a friend of mine, but he's in court with them right now

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:58 am
How about this, is there a way to even the shine without correcting the orange peel? The whole paint jobs has orange peel now that I know what it is, but I guess they only detailed certain areas which give it this uneven look. It's not show quality, so if there's a way just to even out the shine id be willing to settle with that

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 am
A good detailer will make it look right.
Maaco charges very little for their paint jobs. Materials cost me more that what they do the whole paint job for, so you know they must be cutting corners somewhere.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:58 am
Yeah, guys that do paint detail/definition work specifically work on "paint correction" many times even on new production cars. They'll give you a straight up answer as to whether they want to work with it.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail