Trunk Seal

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:47 pm
I'm installing the trunk gasket seal on my 67 Camaro.

It fits in nice and snug most all the way around and I'm not fearful of is coming out of place.

I would like to get some added insurance that water can not settle in the recess under the gasket.

I thinking this could best be accomplished by using a paste sealant (silicone, or other) just around the outer edge where the gasket laps up and out over the edge of the recess, especially across the top and down the sides. I'd expect to do across the bottom as well and maybe seal the contact point of the two ends of the gasket butt together near the trunk latch.

As I stated, not concerned so much with *gluing it in* just sealing it up ... keeping water out of the recess and of course out of the trunk.

Would simple black Permatex silicone gasket maker from a squeeze tube be as good as anything, or is there a better idea for this?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am
I use this: https://www.zoro.com/3m-super-weatherst ... gJFJPD_BwE

It holds the seal in place but not so much that it cannot be removed sometime in the future should the need arise. Put a little where the ends butt together and hold it with a piece of tape until it cures.

If you put the trunk seal seam at the lowest point (usually center rear) leakage won't be a problem.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail