Did I ruin my daughters car?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:51 pm
I bought my daughter a used car that needed to be painted. The sales man said he had someone who could paint it for cheap. Well after I got the car back, the paint job looked good but there was a lot of "trash" in the paint. When I would pass your hand over the paint you could feel a lot of bumps in the paint. So I lightly wet sanded the car using 2500 grit sand paper. The car came out super smooth and felt good to the touch. The problem is I still have swirl marks in the paint after my wet sanding. I have tried liquid compounding it, scratch and swirl removal and polish. Nothing has worked. And I have used a dual action orbital sander for each step. What can I do to get the swirl marks out of her paint? BTW. I have not used paste compound nor have I tried to use a clay bar. The car is a blue Honda Civic and it was painted using the same color that came on the car. I do not think the painter used any clear coat on the paint after he was done. Just a quick paint job and gave the car back to me. Please teach me how to get these swirl marks out of my daughters car! Thanks for your help in advance!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:35 am
You probably didn't ruin it, you are most likely just not using the correct process to sand then buff the car out.

Before proceeding, contemplate the idea of paying a good detailer $200-$300 to buff it out for you, versus continuing to develop your technique on this car.

Here's my buffing process, after done wetsanding the car. There are hundreds of variations of this that work just fine.

1. Wizard's Turbo Cut (or Mystic Cut), on a Presta black wool pad. Start out around 1500 RPM, then ramp up to 2500 RPM.

2. Wizard's Finish Cut, on a Presta green wool pad. Same RPM range.

3. (optional, if needed) Wizard's Finish Cut, on a 3M waffle foam pad. 2500 RPM.

I am *not* good buffer, and struggled with swirl marks for a long time. When I finally put a Dynabrade 61374 head on my buffer, the problems went away: viewtopic.php?p=185127#p185127

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:06 pm
think it would help to have more info.
and pictures.
what did you use to sand with 1500? it reads like ya may have used an electric DA sander used for woodworking and got pigtails all over.
what brand of polishes and compounds did you use?

what dual action orbital sander did you use?
what pads did you use?

if there was no clearcoat sprayed, when you were wet sanding you would see the color of the paint on the sandpaper and in the water.
clearcoat will look whiteish on the sandpaper and water

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail