Used Meguiar's 105 and 205 thus far...next step?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19 pm
After wetsanding I picked up a few pads from Chemical Guys, their orange and white cutting and polishing pads, and used Meguiar's 105 and 205 on the car. It looks nice, although somehow a thin scratch appeared I'd like to discuss at the end of this post.

After the 205, using my Griot's DA polisher, I still see some swirl marks, though certainly much better than before I started with the 105. What pads / compounds should I consider next to nail the spider webs before I go to final wax?

As to the scratch, it's about 2" long, very thin, but I can feel it catch just slightly with my fingernail. I have no idea how it got there, I must have hit it with the DA polisher somehow when buffing, however I can't say for sure. The scratch is visible starting from 2 ft away if you look at the right angle.

I really don't want to repaint this section and wondered if a 1500, then 2000 wetsand
on the section followed by 105 and 205 with the DA will make a difference? This is a daily driver so it doesn't have to be concours-perfect in appearance. (I sprayed Summit Racing single stage metallic paint, followed by Summit medium solids clearcoat in case anyone was wondering.)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:43 pm
Most problems come from not getting the coarser grit scratches completely remove.
If you using a DA to sand the clear with, you must watch carefully for build up under the pad that will cause pig tails.

Be sure when you are finished sanding with 1500 that all the 1000 scratches are gone. Sanding with 2000 must be done until the 1500 scratches are all gone.

Then buffing with the 105 should give you nearly a perfect finish. The 205 will refine the swirl marks. For the final polish I like Menzerna 3800. Chemical Guys makes some nice compound for finishing as well but I can't remember the number right now.

To answer your question, yes sand the scratch out and rebuff.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:44 pm
Thanks for the final polish suggestion. And wetsanding with 1500, then 2000, then the DA with 105 and 205 took 99% of the scratch out, so thanks too for confirming my plan of attack.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail