Unique situation [57 chevy]

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:12 pm
I'd definitely try vinegar first. And yes, if that is not getting it those commercial products (with TESTING) would be fine.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 am
Darrel, do you know how the modern lacquers look on the car? Do they look somewhat like the original lead lacquer?

I think that car would look a lot better with some fresh white, you know many cars were damaged being delivered to the dealer and got some paint work. Also, the show judges allow a percentage of repaint and still let them be judged as original.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:28 am
Well, here is the thing.....I think modern lacquers do look different than the old original lacquers but the average guy probably wouldn't notice. I don't disagree on that point that this car would look "better" doing what you said there... A really good professional paint conservation guy could make that car look like it had never been worked on....all you would need is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:20 pm
just an update. Missed the show because of work.
finally got in the garage today. beautiful 70 degree day.
did a 60/40 water/CLR mix.

seems to have worked great.
this is the same general area as the first pic.
20180430_145859-1.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Cool, looks like you are on the road to recovery.....
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail