Can I Sand This Out?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:04 pm
I bumped into a piece I was clearcoating and made the mark shown in the picture. This is 3 coats of Spraymax 2k clear spray can. I sanded with 1000 grit 1500, and 2000 then did a little polishing to see what it could look like. I can still see it.

Should I go with a lower grit and get it completely flat? I'm afraid I'll get into the color or not have enough clear left to polish. Thanks
Attachments
cowl.JPG

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:15 am
I could be wrong but it looks like you are through a layer of clearcoat. You won't be able to polish that away. Moreover you should also have cleaned the surface with a wax and grease remover before painting. You have an issue with fisheye caused by silicone in a wax used on the car. If you don't have an adhesion problem the fisheye can be controlled by adding silicone to the finish. Your supplier will have some kind of fisheye control solvent that you could use. I use one called Smoothie I can order from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:38 pm
That's not fisheyes, it's excessive peel.

OP, continue sanding until it's completely flat, like in the middle of your problem area. If you haven't sanded through the re-apply clear, holding the spray can closer and moving faster, otherwise dust some colour over any small rubthroughs before re-clearing.
Chris

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail