Vinyl top

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:22 pm
This top I'm hoping not to alter the texture of it very much. It already has the look of leather and I would like to keep it looking as close as I can to original.

It's too bad they didn't put as much effort in the car running as they did the body. The car just spent two months at a Chevrolet dealer repair shop because it wasn't running right and I had to give up on them and have a wrecker bring it home. Come to find out it was throwing a code, the MAF sensor had gone bad so I replaced that and it's running now.

Currently I working on the paint. One time when the car wasn't running we had day after day of hail storms so I covered the car with blankets and then plywood. After a week the wet blankets ruined the paint on the hood and trunk lid which had been repainted in recent years. The factory paint was unaffected. A professional body shop had worked on the hood so I don't know what urethane clear they used on it. The trunk I took it down to bare metal in 2015 and painted it with Omni MBC base coat and Advantage Urethane. After a week with the wet blankets there was a texture that looked like goose bumps on your skin. I've painted cars with lacquer that held up better than that.

All along I've been wishing to put a coating of something over the top instead of having to grease it every few days.
Attachments
IMGP2608.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:18 pm
I think if it was properly reduced you could maintain quite a bit of that original texture.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:18 am
DarrelK wrote:I think you would be surprised how "fine" of a texture you can get with the Raptor. This pic. is my hard tonneau cover I built for my bed. This was done just using their included Shutz style gun which is more like a garden hose than a spray gun.....
The top looks good. I think on mine a minimum thickness of the bedliner would do. There is no cracks or defects to fill, it's just the sheen. The car was kept in a garage most of it's life. I got it in 2012 and it didn't have quite 100,000 miles on it. Most of that mileage was from traveling rather than day to day use.
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail