First Cut and buff job. Need some advice.

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:55 pm
So my car is starting to look really good, but there are imperfections in the paint from my first time painting a car. A problem that I forgot about but then noticed when doing the cut and buff is this section in the picture. It's a small ring area where I burned through the clear, the reason I burned through is there was a black long beard hair that must have landed on the first coat of clear that I missed, I tried to carefully sand it out and it came out but I burned through unfortunately. Now I notice it with everything being clear and shiny.

Oh well I can live with it, but thought I would ask. Is there anyway to get rid of that with out repainting everything? Probably not but it does suck.
Attachments
20210130_184825.jpg
20210130_185029.jpg
20210130_185038.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm
Would a flow coat fix this since it's the same color underneath and didnt burn through that bad? I'm still color sanding and buffing the car and almost done might just leave it.

The car has weird layering of coats because I had to paint and clear it twice due to the fact that I ran out of paint. I bought a new batch of paint with same color code and after using the new paint and painting the roof and rear quarters and BLENDING with it, I noticed that even after blending the new paint it was WAY whiter than the first batch so I ended up scuffing the clear with a grey scotch pad, then spraying new base on the whole car followed by new clear so in order to burn through to primer it's got a ways to go. **** I learned alot on this thing. What not to do, but thats how I learn haha. :knockout:

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 am
Robo999 wrote:Would a flow coat fix this since it's the same color underneath and didnt burn through that bad? I'm still color sanding and buffing the car and almost done might just leave it.

No. You'd need to put some base coat over those spots, then reclear.
Chris
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail