First Time Polishing Paint / Clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:55 pm
Well; not really as described in my projects thread as the first time ended in disaster when I was a kid working at a body shop.

So my thread here is to document my experience getting around to; and gaining confidence polishing the TA project. First I should note there is a ton of clear on the car so no worries about going through it.

I bought a HF DA polisher, some 3D 500 X-tra cut and 520 polish. I got a wool pad with it but was using foam pads with the DA and was getting good results I thought. I was sanding to 2000 and touching up spots where the first stage was leaving scratches behind. The 3D product seems easy to use and wipes away with hardly any effort. It says no silicones and since I have to paint the doors and fenders when it gets warm again next spring I though that was probably a selling point too.

After wasting a bunch of time and polish (this stuffs not cheap compared to others). I got a rotary and used it with the wool pad and killed most of the car yesterday afternoon.

Anyway; just wanted to share the experience and maybe help others like me trying to find their way through this last stage of a project. I did not sand and polish the AMC I did a few years ago but when I can get it out of the trailer next year I'm gonna definitely hit it.

Pictures:

Thanks for looking

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:04 pm
Nice work - I love that color too.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:22 pm
Thanks Justin. The paint it is a GM metallic silver called Switchblade, mixed up in Matrix with their universal clear over the base. I think it is the lower tier line of products but it worked for me.

JT

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail