Spray paint mixed with clearcoat problem

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

Romania
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 am
Hello, later i started fixing the rust on a car i love and all good till i started painting. I went to a paintshop and bought a spray can paint with the manufacturer color code and mixed with clear coat as it's a glossy finish, not metallic.
After i sanded to the bare metal i applied 2 coats of primer, waited till the next day to cure then sanded with 600 grit the coar into the old paint to make an even surface. Then i proceeded to apply 3 coats of the spray paint i bought, with a 5-10 mins break time between.
I waited about 2-3 days to cure and now i went to wet sand with 800 grit the new paint in order to even the level difference between the new and old paint. The main problem can be seen in the picture attached:
- there's a white line across the whole area where the new meets the old paint and i sincerely suspect it's the clearcoat embedded in the main paint but im not 100% sure about that, it could also be the primer ? but it's white not gray which was the primer's tint.
I tried to sand with a finer grit such as 1500 and the more i sand, the more i get of that white line. I also tried to polish with a polish sponge and 3m polish compound but it didn't remove the white thing.
Do you have any suggestions regarding what could i do to get rid of that white line ? Thanks alot!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:06 am
You sanded through the paint to the primer.
More than likely you didn't have the surface of the repair area sufficiently blended into the existing painted area.

When using filler it is necessary to extend well past the area you are working on and then using a long sanding block feather the repair area into the surrounding panel.

This will get everything straight and level prior to painting and then when color sanding and buffing you won't have this issue.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Romania
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You sanded through the paint to the primer.
More than likely you didn't have the surface of the repair area sufficiently blended into the existing painted area.

When using filler it is necessary to extend well past the area you are working on and then using a long sanding block feather the repair area into the surrounding panel.

This will get everything straight and level prior to painting and then when color sanding and buffing you won't have this issue.

Hi and thanks for replying.
You mean i should spray the primer on a larger area, including on the original old coating and then sand it all down till i feather the whole area ?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 pm
I am assuming that you used body filler to skim your repaired area. It is during that stage that you need to feather beyond the repair.
When spraying your build primer it is the same concept.

Notice how far the body filler extends down this door. It is extremely thin but feathers into the surrounding panel gradually.
Cab Right Rear.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail