BC/CC Paint Job needs refreshing

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:45 pm
Hello - A couple of years ago I painted my car (BC/CC) using PPG products. I removed all the glass & rubber, etc and did a job that looked great at the time. I have no complaints about it. But even though the car stays in the garage, I have started to see some flaws that seem to get worse. I was wondering if I could scruff sand it and reshoot the clear? I went thru the wet sanding procedure following the painting and I'm afraid I might sand through the existing clear and hit the BC - something I'd rather not do.
Thanks In Advance!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm
So what was your coating process back then....which PPG clear and how many coats of each step???
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 pm
I used PPG Omni AU, MC161, 4 coats exactly per instructions. I don't have an oven, so it just air dryed, but the garage stayed closed with the AC running to keep humidity down (I'm in central Va). BTW, I don't think this matters, but I painted it once, didn't like it and sanded it down again, then re-shot it just like before, except for some changes to the gun settings. It shot great and I wet sanded it with 1500, 2000 and 2500, then polished it with several different pads using 3M cutting solutions - in the order suggested by my paint salesman and the specs. I try to always follow manufacturers instructions unless there's a real good reason not to - which doesn't happen often. Is there anything else I can provide?
Thx for replying -

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:37 pm
Well, that's great....at least you know in good detail what you did. Okay, I'm very familiar with the 161 clear. I shot it several times about 15 to 20 years ago. We always referred to it as a "medium solids" clear as opposed to say something like PPG 2021. So even with 4 coats of that on it's more like maybe the equivalent of say 3 coats of a higher solids clear. We also know that you probably cut at least a full coat of that off. Sooooo.....hmmmm.....I wonder if you could clean, degrease, do a light scuff pad and go to say an intercoat clear, then switch to a regular hardened clear? Let me see if I can get another opinion on this from 68 Coronet over here......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am
Since your clear is still in good shape and not fading or peeling you should be okay.

Of course you will need to remove all trim, get any rubber seals lifted enough for the new clear to get under, etc.

You will need to clean the car thoroughly and then scuff existing clear with a Scotchbrite (7448 Light Gray) pad until dull looking.

I would also recommend using a better quality clear this time. Something with a higher solids content and more durability, like a Euro Clear.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:20 am
lturn9 wrote:A couple of years ago I painted my car

lturn9 wrote:he car stays in the garage, I have started to see some flaws that seem to get worse

Hmmmm. On a well protected job that is relatively recent, what kind of flaws that get worse are likely to be fixed by just more clear?

My other concern is that this job has already been redone and even allowing for some abrasion loss, 4 coats of MS clear is double what I put on and warranty for life. Just what paint thickness are we dealing with here?
Chris

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:29 am
Thanks for all that info - you've given me a lot to consider - in response to the question about the thickness of the paint - sorry, I have no way to measure the thickness - but it certainly doesn't look overly thick & there were no drips/runs.

As far as the suggestions about shooting it with EuroClear - that's something I will consider - While it sounds very good after reading the data sheets, I didn't see if it's compatible with PPG products? Of course, companies don't normally like to discuss other manufacturers products...

Thanks again - let me know if anyone has used PPG under Euro Clear please.

Larry

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 am
Larry, 68 was probably referring to this Euro right here at the Store Front button up top on this page....
https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... r-hc-2104/
It would be totally compatible with your existing clear and is a premium clear.... I've shot it several times now, flows out beautifully. For matching factory orange peel I don't even cut/buff it. For a mirror finish it will cut/buff pretty easily.....

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 am
I assume the prep you suggest is the same as the one you posted previously? Thx for the link -
Larry

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail