2019 Jeep Cherokee Matte Plastic Bumper Scuff

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:18 pm
Family member hit/scuffed Rear Left Matte Black Bumper, leaving white paint/scuffing. I don't want to make the situation worse and curious to learn tried and true way to return this as close to factory finish as possible. I have several scratch removal products but have never attempted to use them on matte (black) finishes. I have a high-end back to black kind of product, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (16 oz), but don't want to apply that until removing as much of what's been added to the surface. Thank you for your experience/information.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:59 pm
Any chance you could throw a pic. of the damage on here? There is an upload attachment button under the Save Preview Submit buttons under this reply box. You can then browse and upload from there....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:16 pm
Plastic, not painted?

Use lacquer thinners carefully to remove the paint from what was hit. If there are any sections where the plastic has been torn up so it sits above the surface use a razor blade or craft knife to pare the raised bits down to original surface level. Then use your plastic trim sealant.

Otherwise, if the scratches are deep then it may be possible to plastic weld to fill the scratches and then impress a pattern on the surface, if required. May not be DIY skill level.

Repair that section and paint it. May not look exactly the same as the other side and the difference will increase over time. Expensive.

If it's just one section, look at replacing it. May not be as dear as you think.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm
I've attached a photo of a similar issue on another car. No daylight here.
Attachments
scratch.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 pm
Yep. Just wipe down with thinners and then treat with your plastic sealant.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:46 am
I'd agree....give that a try and see where you are at.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm
Thank you. Before testing on a spot, how badly should I expect the thinner to affect the factory matte finish of the areas surrounding the affected sections?

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail