Issues with ‘professional’ polish & ceramic coat finish

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:31 am
Hi - My first post so please be gentle with me :-)

I recently purchased a ‘new to me’ car and paid the dealer for a ‘machine polish and ceramic coat’. The car looked fine when I picked it up, but a few days later when the sun came out it was obvious that there were problems with the paint. In the attached photo the ‘lines’ that are visible are not reflections or on the surface, but seem to be the result of issues with the polishing..
The paint is a dark blue pearlescent VW paint..
Do you think this is just a bad polishing job, which the dealer could rectify, or have they actually damaged the pearlescent finish ... I would very much like a professional view before I engage them in conversation around what their plans to rectify it are :-)
Many thanks in advance for any opinions, tips, or other pearls (haha) or wisdom ...
Chris

6F3D497C-AF40-4358-BE47-3CF04EA87928.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:03 pm
So that's not a bad polishing job....that is a HORRIBLE polishing job. Did I put that in caps! What's happened is they have hit it with a glazing/polishing compound that had a lot of cheap fillers in it. As you said it look great initially.... well, until the cheap fillers evaporated and you could really see just how inept this guy was with a machine buffer. The swirls and holograms you are seeing are most likely just in the clear and can be/SHOULD BE corrected by the dealer. You might want to request that someone familiar with "paint correction" be on the other end of that buffer this time..... They have made a lot of extra work for themselves.....
Last edited by DarrelK on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 am
Thanks for the advice :-) I do agree, that the correct word is indeed HORRIBLE !

Chris.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail