Orange Peel

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 pm
Hello,
First time poster and very new to spraying vehicle panels. Very much a beginner so I apologise if I am asking a daft question.

Basically, I have prepped and sprayed the panel on car. It has then been given a clear coat. The finish left the orange peel. I think this was mainly down to me attempting the process several times initially with aerosol cans before getting the proper equipment.

I read online to remove this layer of orange peel you start with 400 grit wet and dry going up to 3000. Being cautious I started with 800 grit and went up to 3000.

My question is having already went from 800 to 3000 can I do it again using 400 up to 3000 or would this be too much now because I started too light in the first place instead of just doing what the correct procedure stated initially

Thanks for time

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:18 pm
Could you post some pic.s of what you've done so far????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:12 am
First, starting with 800 should have cut out the peel. I wait weeks after painting, to cut the clear, and 800 usually cuts it fine. If you spent enough time with each additional sanding, to remove the scratches from the previous sanding, it should be OK.
Next, all this really depends on how much clear you put on. 2 coats? 3 or 4? I usually do at least 4 to be sure there's enough for a good sanding. And that is with a spray gun that puts out a good amount of clear per coat.
If you did spray cans...all bets are off. They don't put on a lot of material!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:48 pm
Thanks for reply. It was 2 coats of clear. Next time I will put 4. Coats are with a spray gun also however, the attempts before I got the spray gun and air compressor were with aerosol so I think that is what made the finish difficult.

This was just practicing on an old door. Going to pick up another one from scrap yard to try using the spraygun from start for a better judgement on the finish.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:28 am
If you get excessive clear on something, as long as you have 2-3 coats on it, you can lightly sand it and re-clear it, to flow it out.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail