Cloudy white water stains in black paint

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:29 pm
Hello guys, I just got my 300zx back from the exhaust shop and noticed these cloudy white water stains on the trunk and beginning on the hood (pictures below). Paint has been in overall bad condition for a few months now as I’ve been focusing on mechanical restoration first (perhaps a mistake in this case), and I think that it finally showed up much worse after sitting in the exhaust shop parking lot for a week while it rained and then the water stains dried and baked on. I’ve been keeping it in my garage while working on it so I’m assuming this just happened when it finally sat outside in the sun for a while.
I started to use some Meguiars ultimate compound on the trunk top (bottom pic, bottom right side) using a buffing pad from the chemical guys but didn’t notice that much improvement after a few passes… the already ok paint definitely improved but the spots didn’t seem to get effected too much. I don’t want to continue to pass over it until I have confirmation that that wouldn’t ruin my paint completely… so here I am on the forum, hoping I won’t have to sand these off.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Looks like your paint may be just shot enough to start trapping all kinds of damage now. Problem is if I tell you to get a more aggressive compound I think you will just be ripping off paint as you get the white out.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:34 am
DarrelK wrote:Looks like your paint may be just shot enough to start trapping all kinds of damage now. Problem is if I tell you to get a more aggressive compound I think you will just be ripping off paint as you get the white out.....

I tried just going at one spot with the buffing pad and it got it out completely, I think I’m just going to have to hope it works that way with the rest of the spots…

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am
Unless you had the car repainted at some point, the paint job is at least 25 years old.

It looks like your clear coat is deteriorated to the point of no return. Unfortunately that means your base (color) coat is also compromised and will need to be stripped as well.

These cars still have a fairly high value so having it properly repainted could be a worthwhile investment.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail