Buffing Factory Clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:00 pm
I'm not too impressed with the factory paint, (Orange peel), on our 21 Camry. I've cut and buffed my own paint jobs to the point where they looked great but I am not interested in sanding this car due to the uncertainty of the CC thickness.

How much of an improvement do you think there would be if I just buffed it? I realize the OP will pretty much remain but I am looking for some refinement of the shine. Should I start like I usually do with a wool pad and rotary tool or should I start with the foam pad? I also have a Makita BO6040 in locked mode that I usually use for the final polish.

Thanks!

Larry

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:28 am
A compound light enough to polish a factory clear coat, will be too fine, to be able to remove orange peel. Sanding (with a backing pad) is the only way to reduce peel. And, as you say, it's a risky proposition on a factory paint job. You could minimize the peel, but not by much, if you are very experienced in doing this type of work.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:46 am
Removing factory clear is also removing UV protection, there's not enough
there to start with. That's why so many cars out there have peeling problems.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:24 pm
Factory clear is always too thin and Toyota is one of the worst culprits. Orange peel? Unlikely given that most factory clears tend to be a bit on the dry side these days. Saves money and Toyota made lots of that in the last year.

While it's still new and in good condition scotch it up really thoroughly and then spray 3 coats of a quality clear that has high UV protectant content. Then cut and buff. Done right you'll save yourself a full respray in about 10 years and it will look much better.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:13 am
NFT5 wrote: save yourself a full respray in about 10 years and it will look much better.

10 yrs? I think you're a bit optimistic (LOL)
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:49 pm
So, are you guys saying that unless I sand first I probably wont see much of an improvement? Sanding and reclearing are both out of the question.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Well, that's what I would say at least. I mean the paint is like topography....if I've got mountains and want level fields then I've got to knock them down. Just mowing or plowing over the mountains.... very little effect.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm
here is a few things to think about,

your clear is your UV protectant = removing any part of it increases risk of premature fading
and you can bet your A@# that those cars are already at the minimum requirement.

that orange peel hides factory manufacturing marks, stamp lines and creases, polishing that paint up will show all those defects

orange peel also helps hide the day to day wear and tear on your paint, car wash scratches, road grime, etc.

leave your paint alone is my opinion.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:49 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate your candidness! I think I will leave well enough alone.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:33 pm
69-er wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate your candidness! I think I will leave well enough alone.

good choice brother
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail