Help with Materials/Equipment Selection

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:27 pm
Yesterday, I did a little bit more of YouTube University, then went back out to the Pig Barn just to clean up my shop but couldn't leave the hood alone.

I started with my Makita, a white (medium) pad and the Chemical Guys V36. Looked great until I got down at the right angle and could still see scratches.

Not knowing what I am doing, so I dug out an Orange pad and used the M100 with the Makita. I could still see scratches. Very disappointing and frustrating.

I then used the same pad and M100 but on my Dewalt DWP849X polisher. It was like a magic eraser for scratches! I still need to do the next two steps but it is definitely working now.

There are a few spots that I need to go back on, mostly at some of the hard edges that I was kind of scared of burning through.

Orange Pad Buff (4).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:50 pm
OldFatBald wrote:Yesterday, I did a little bit more of YouTube University, then went back out to the Pig Barn just to clean up my shop but couldn't leave the hood alone.

I started with my Makita, a white (medium) pad and the Chemical Guys V36. Looked great until I got down at the right angle and could still see scratches.

Not knowing what I am doing, so I dug out an Orange pad and used the M100 with the Makita. I could still see scratches. Very disappointing and frustrating.

I then used the same pad and M100 but on my Dewalt DWP849X polisher. It was like a magic eraser for scratches! I still need to do the next two steps but it is definitely working now.

There are a few spots that I need to go back on, mostly at some of the hard edges that I was kind of scared of burning through.

Orange Pad Buff (4).jpg

looks good man !
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 pm
OldFatBald wrote:I then used the same pad and M100 but on my Dewalt DWP849X polisher. It was like a magic eraser for scratches!

What's the difference between the two buffs? I had a Makita which I replaced with Hitachi - basically the same except for the colour, and the price. Also have Bosch blue (light but noisy) which seems about the same in terms of effectiveness and a couple of cheaper brands that just take up space. So interested in why the Dewalt was so much better.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:36 pm
NFT5 wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:I then used the same pad and M100 but on my Dewalt DWP849X polisher. It was like a magic eraser for scratches!

What's the difference between the two buffs? I had a Makita which I replaced with Hitachi - basically the same except for the colour, and the price. Also have Bosch blue (light but noisy) which seems about the same in terms of effectiveness and a couple of cheaper brands that just take up space. So interested in why the Dewalt was so much better.

Well, since I am pretty new to most of this stuff, I would guess that it was more of an issue of operator error versus the machine differences.

The Makita is a Dual Action Random Orbit Polisher with a 7.8 amp motor while the DeWalt has a twelve amp motor, is not a Random Orbit and is definitely heavier.

The Makita also has a forced rotation on/off switch that I may or may not have had on the correct setting - I "think" that I had it set to forced rotation.

But like I said, it was probably more of my rookieness that was the issue. Again, just that one nut causing problems!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:49 am
Ok, ta.

Yes, I can understand why such a big difference now. The rotary will have a huge advantage over the DA for dealing with scratches. But the DA will give a nicer, swirl-free finish when polishing.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:18 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: . . . Rotary buffer is the way to to, in my opinion. 7" pad.
I have a Dewalt buffer with variable speed trigger so I can start slow and then speed it up.
Start with a twisted wool pad and Meguiars M100. Run the buffer at a lower speed to start working the compound over a section of the panel and then bump the speed up to 2500 RPM and continue to buff the area with a smooth, continuous motion. . .

Way back on page 1 of this thread. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail