Removing possibly old crackling Vinyl Adhesive? Not sure

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:10 pm
I have a truck that has what looks like old crackling vinyl adhesive but I'm not sure what it is. I've tried alcohol, WD-40 and some low grit compound just applied by hand so far but it seems to be really baked on. I have attached a picture.
Attachments
paint.png

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:28 pm
So are you thinking it had a vinyl wrap on it and that is the adhesive left on there? Have you tried a regular wax and grease remover like Prep-Sol on it?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:37 pm
Whatever it is is very old and has baked on and hardened. I will try what you recommended. Thanks.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:48 pm
If it is that old, it is probably some type of contact cement. The solvent for those was carbon tetrachloride which is kind of hard to get now. It is not a "banned" substance, just a somewhat restricted chemical. The only other thing that would probably remove it unfortuantely will also start removing the underlying paint as well, that would be a methylene chloride based stripper.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:56 pm
I find this stuff works very well and doesn't destroy the paint.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpo ... 909&sr=8-4
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail