color sanding and clearcoat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:35 am
This may have come up before, but i am having trouble discerning when and if i should color sand before a clearcoat. I have color sanded a previous job with slight orange peel and been quite happy with the results. My next project i want to paint a color and clear. Assuming i have the same slight orange peel problem, can i color sand the color before the clear? even if i finish with 2000 grit i can envision scratches or cloudyness from not using a polishing compound. if i use a polishing compound, will it contaminate the clear? Will the clearcoat still bond with the color? What time window do i have to do this in?
Or will i get acceptable results just sanding the final clearcoat?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:29 am
Just color sand the clear. Base is not color sanded.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:42 pm
HEY HORSEPOWER.

What if the base had a dry patch in it. ya know where he pulled the gun back a little fast & its now a dry sorta rough patch there on the base.

Shouldnt this be color sanded out somewhat? what kinda gritt would i use and at what steps.? Id assume using a 2000.....you think or whats possible>

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:19 pm
You can sand the dry spot out BUT you must reshoot the base before you clear. I have used 600 grit to sand the dry spot and worked fine.

Joe 8)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:41 pm
Can someone define 'color sanding' please?

I thought it was sanding the base color but it seems that Im finding out that most manufacturers do not recommend sanding the base color. So like stated above, if u do, the base must be resprayed before clearing it.

More knowledge please NEED more info! :evil: :wink:

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:13 am
"color sanding" is basically just a term used in the automotive painting industry for wet sanding the finished paint job with a very fine paper (1500 grit or higher).

Basically, with a base coat/clear coat, if you were to sand the color coat without reshooting it, you would be clearing over all the sanding scratches in the base coat.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail