orange peel

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:05 am
hi everyone,
i am ready to color sand my car and i was curious of how much of the orange peel can i sand off before it gets "risky"? what grit should i start with and finish with? i have 4 coats of clear if that helps any. ideally, i would love to get rid of all of the major peel. the minor stuff that basically blends into the paint doesnt really bother me. any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:09 pm
Having 4 coats of clear helps out plenty. Start wet sanding (I use spray bottle with soap and water mixed in it) with 1300 to 1500 grit sand paper; use a squeegee occasionally to wipe off wet panel (to check progress), the more you check, the better. Be careful around any edges. Continue till shine is gone and surface is flat (smooth) then wipe down with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water (in spray bottle) to clean off the residue.
You can either wait about 8-12 hrs (if you have the time) and start going through buffing process or
go directly to a finer grit sand paper (1800 grit) to sand prior sand scratches out then 2000 grit to get rid of the 1800 grit sand scratches.
If your using a buffer, make sure you buff around 1250-1500 rpm to prevent any burn through. To be cautious, tape up round any edges also to prevent burn through because the paint is always thinner on the edges.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hope this helps 8) .

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail