Flat Black wet sand?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:46 am
Heres one for ya! I bought a 79' Z28. It's perfect in every way except the paint(could be nail polish!). It's flat black, still a little rough in places(least touched areas), It could very well be rattle can rustoleum type stuff. The car still smells like fresh paint!

My question is this. Being the non-painting fool that I am, I'm going to have to live with this until I can afford to have it painted. I know bowing out like a wimp, but it beats scrwing my car up. Can I wet sand this down to a decent finish? If so with what grit? I have a 1/3 sheet orbital, that I'm afraid might do to much. As I said and I have been told, this looks like he used a case or better of spray paint to do this.
A little crappy paint saving 101 would help me beyond belief!
Thanks,
Ray
P.S. We build engines and performance systems, and to date I haven't found a way to paint anything without a touch of artistic talent, I have NONE! If I can't measure it in .001's I'm screwed!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:09 am
IMHO- (assuming the paint is completely dried) Id take a DA 6" sander to it with w/ a minimum of 1500 in the rough areas but maybe start off with 2000 to see if thats enough.
If that smooths out the area move onto a light rubbing compund w/ a wool pad to take out those 1500/2000 sand scratches, then foam pad w/ a finishing glaze (as suggested by 3M).

For another good read on this job check out this thread> http://autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=439
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 am
Very cool Thank you

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:26 pm
Are you sure it's not epoxy primer or sealer?
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:55 am
I took it to a shop and the guy sanded a bit of it and did some other stuff, he' sure it's rattle can. People piss me off!
If I could paint this thing would be stripped by now... Any other suggestions?

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:49 am
Just a thought and comment here. I usually see vehicles done in flat finishes for a couple of reasons. One is the vehicle is prept with a sealer or primer coat waiting for the final eye catching top coat. Second it is painted flat to hide all the sins of the world and bad body prep.
If this is truley the finish you want and the paint on the car is good in its integrety you might want to get the same base coat color from your paint dealer and reapply it over the top after wet sanding the old color with 300-400 grit. Just dont apply the clear coat and you will have a flat based finish at a pretty low cost. Now I know people will say that this is not the proper method but it will look good for quite some time before it gives up.A quality paint job is going to run 3000 to 5000 depending. This fix would be around 300 to 500.
hope this helps

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail