water spots

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:14 pm
I have a preowned green Expedition and on the hood it looks like sun-baked water spots. I've tried waxing but had no luck. I saw an episode on TRUCKS about this and they said to wet sand with 2000 grit paper on a variable sander but I didn't catch all of the show. Any help on this subject would help this newbie out.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:43 pm
I think I saw that episode ( i think he was working on a green or blue suv, right?) anyhow follow this link Im 99.9% positive its the same procedure or very close to it. Hopefully someone else will chime in here for ya for some more advice.
http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/solutions/fprofessional.jhtml

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:31 am
Thanks so much! Those spots have been bothering me for awhile now so maybe I can do something about it. Thanks again! :lol:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:48 am
The only thing you really need to be careful about (as stated in that show) is ur CC thickness if you take too much off it may flake up on ya in no time. Unfortunately, unless you buy one of those expensive paint depth gauges ur sh@t out of luck. If uve never buffed paint before just be REAL careful! Another tip Ive learned thru my research is to tape all edges, thats where the paint is thinnest and most likely areas to burn thru with ur polisher. Be sure to take some b4 and after pics! ;)

Gdluck!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:29 pm
Thanks again for your help. I do remember them saying on that show to be sure and tape off any edges.
Can anyone recommend a variable speed buffer or would it be cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done? I really want to do this myself but kinda scared and the same time. Afraid I'll screw it up.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail