another coat of clear on pearl...

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:17 am
A question about final clear over a base with a pearl coat over it. I did base clear on a 65 Rambler and was using a HVLP gun...the base shot amazing, the clear not so good, I followed the manufacturers guideline and still I had trouble with deposit and when I boosted the pressure it didn't help. I have two coats on it but it took so long to get around it that the clear has orange peeled and it is dry looking in spots as I came around even though I am sure that I have enough on. The pearl looks great and I want to put the final clear over top...it has been two weeks since I painted the car...wondering what grit to sand with and any recommendations on using the urethane with the low press gun more effectively. Should I just go to conventional gun, I work on these at home and the low press is great for the neighbors...not as much fume coming from my garage. Thanks in advance for any input.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:52 am
Main question here is what temp hardener did you use for the clear? Fast drying hardeners will give you dry spots if you try to shoot a whole vehicle with it plus other various problems (orange peel, solvent pop ect). Fast drying (low temp) hardeners are only good for doing spot panel repairs.
You want to sand with 400-600 grit prior to your final coat of clear. After sanding, wipe down with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water. You can use your low-pressure gun to spray the clear (with the SLOW drying hardener) and you can also reduce it up to 10% to the RTS (ready to spray) clear so it flows better.
Hope this helps :) .

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail