Big Mistake, any comments helpful

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:10 pm
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum, and I have couple problems. Yesterday I was watching trucks tv on Spike, and Leslie was making fixing scratches look so easy that I went and bought a "fine" sanding sponge and started wet sanding a botched touchup job left by the previous owner on my hood. I really didn't know what I was doing, and now, it looks like I sanded away the clear coat because the paint is dull and is covered in scratches. I went to NAPA today and got 600 ultra fine wetordry 3m sanding paper and I ended up making it worse. I'm pretty sure I sanded through the clear coat, and I thought you could wet sand lightly to remove scratches, not make more. If anyone can tell me what I should do to fix this, that would be great. I'd like to not have to have my hood repainted. Thanks.
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:13 pm
and if i cannot fix my error of sanding through the clear coat, would MAACO fix this for a decent price? Thanks. Oh, and if you're using AIM, an instant message to me would be appreciated. My S/N is PapaRoach5243. Thanks.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:30 am
If the color under the clear coat is metallic in nature it will have a smuged look if you went through the clear and you will have to have the color reapplied and blended in. But most IMPORTANT do not color sand with anything finer than 1000 to 1500 grit unless you are very experienced in taking out runs or smoothing a paint job out that is rougher than a n.y. interstate.
If the color is non-metallic and does not show signes of sand through to the substate layers (primer or sealer) You can reapply a blending clear over the top and re-wetsand and buff it out.
Hope this helps

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail