Porter Cable small orbital buffer

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:52 am
I just picked one up at Home Depot for $99.00. I have heard good things about these buffers. Right now I have a variable speed Makita and a Blue Point air buffer. I don't really care for the Makita but love the air buffer except for the strain it puts on my compressor. I also have a little Blue Point orbital air buffer that uses a 3" pad for getting into tight spots or for mirror housings. I like it too. I always color sand down to at least 1500 and some times 2000. I bought some 2500 paper but haven't used it yet.

Do any of you have any thoughts about the Porter Cable #7424? (I think that's the right model number) 8)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:11 am
I've used an electric one before ( not a porter though ) now I use an air buffer. But I like the idea of electric. I think my compressor could use a break as well. Let us know how it works.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:57 am
I'll be happy to let you know and hopefully soon. I'll be painting my panel truck in the next month or so. I've just got a few places to prime and block left to do. I also screwed up and re-assembled the front clip after I thought the doors were aligned. They aligned OK but the hinges are shot so it will have to come apart again. I have no helper so I'll sit like a spider awaiting some un-suspecting friend to drop by and pounce when they get here. LOL. :wink: No big deal other than I installed one piece power windows and I'll have to deal with the wiring in the way when I pull the doors off. DRAT!

I pulled the hinges off of a truck in the salvage yard and they looked new as they were still coated in black sealer as they come from the factory. I should have lifted on the doors before I pulled them or after I installed them. Brain fart in the heat of last summer I suppose. 8)

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:21 am
Well I decided to panel paint the frontend so I started with the hood. I color sanded and tried out the Porter Cable electric buffer.

GAG!

It's probably going to be good for applying wax only. Bummer I wasted my money. OH Well! Live and learn. 8)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:23 pm
sorry to hear that but thanks for the heads up.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:27 am
What exactly didn't you like about the PC buffer?Just wanted to know what you found out about it.
Joe 8)

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:36 pm
Joecool,
It's not powerful enough and it turns to slow. 8)

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:27 am
Thanks bowtie.I have the variable speed Makita also and really like it for buffing.I just don't want to use it for taking off old paint and bondo as a grinder.So been looking for a cheap stand-in :wink: .

Thanks again for the info!
Joe

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail