thread deletion

Information on how to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:28 pm
How does the author of a thread go about deleting a thread? I started a thread this morn. about a topic I had already discussed and I really don't see a need for two topics about the same thing, especially from the same author. :whoops:
--carlos

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm
great question, Carlos.

First I will tell you that the user privilege system in this forum software is like nothing I have ever seen. It is insanely complex. Anyone who has run a phpbb forum will back me up on this.

So, without taking on your user privilege profile myself, I'm going to take a guess -- let me know if you see it this way:

Anytime you make a post you have 48 hours to edit it. There should be an 'edit' button or action somewhere on the post once you are logged in and revisit your post. If you select "edit" there should then be a checkmark box that says "delete", where you can delete the post -- and if it's the only post in the thread that ought to wipe the thread out too. If someone else has posted in the thread then I need to intervene if we really want to delete the thread.

Give it a look see and let me know.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm
I'm certain that that is the way I did it this morn., since I discovered the old thread just minutes after typing up the new one. I work nights, so I went to bed. I wake up this afternoon to an email notification stating "timbo" had replied to my thread.

I believe that at any point in time the author should be able to delete a thread regardless of responses from members.

....and yes, I would like the thread I started this morn. deleted please.
--carlos

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm
It's a slippery slope, once members have contributed to a thread I'm not sure the OP has the "right" to delete the entire thread. I know I'd be a little miffed if I spent my (increasingly restricted) time to construct a helpful response to a topic then found out two days later the author of the thread decided to can the entire discussion.

In this case I think we are ok, and will delete it; I'm sure Tim will understand.

I do see in the logs that you deleted the thread but I bet Tim was formulating his response at the same time so the system had it cached and reposted it along with his reply.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 pm
chris wrote:It's a slippery slope, once members have contributed to a thread I'm not sure the OP has the "right" to delete the entire thread. I know I'd be a little miffed if I spent my (increasingly restricted) time to construct a helpful response to a topic then found out two days later the author of the thread decided to can the entire discussion.

In this case I think we are ok, and will delete it; I'm sure Tim will understand.

I do see in the logs that you deleted the thread but I bet Tim was formulating his response at the same time so the system had it cached and reposted it along with his reply.

Your post makes sense, and if it weren't for the nearly identical thread it wouldn't matter.

Thanks Chris and sorry timbo.
--carlos

Return to Forum Usage Q&A