95 grandprix

Information on how to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:57 am
I have recently bought a 95 grandprix from a family member that was wrecked.damage to the left side fender,door rear quarter panel.I have purchased a door but after removing old door i realized that the part of the body where door hinges mount is bent in,mainly the bottom hinge.my question is is there anyway to straighten this out where i can get the door to fit right again.i don't really see a way to get behind it to hammer it out.is there a tool they use for this?is it possible for a amerature to accomplish such a feat?i am a pretty good mechanic but a greenhorn when it comes to body work.if there is anyone that has any suggestions i can use all the help i can get thanks.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:52 am
Depending on how bent in it is you could try a slide hammer to pull the dent in the lower door hinge mount. If there is a hole nearly for the hinge already, I'd use it (if possible) versus drilling another hole then having to patch that. Be careful not to interfere (mess up) with the thread.

The hinge area is usually reinforced quite a bit and you may have some difficulty getting all of the dent out. If you don't have a dent puller try Harbor Freight or Eastwood for some options - the one on HF has some creative attachments to help.

Another option would be a stud welder and puller - can also be found at either place mentioned above.

Return to Forum Usage Q&A